Did you know that Independence Day almost ended up being July 2nd 1776? A document called the "Lee Resolution" was passed by congress, which actually declared our Independence (despite the New Yorkers being a bunch of babies.) The "Lee Resolution" became the core of the "Declaration of Independence."John Adams wrote this to his wife on July 3rd 1776:
“The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.”
So enjoy your parades, sports, fireworks, parties, and fun…. But do not forget the great sacrifices that many have given before, and many continue to give today. We are here in Iraq pursuing the same freedoms, and independence that we take for granted. Maybe 231 years from now Iraq will look back, as a free country, and thank us for what we have done.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Even though it is hard to be away from Jess and home, I am proud to be here and am glad that I am. I believe that we are doing the right thing by being in Iraq. If you do not agree with me, that is your prerogative; however, do not forget that the only reason that you wake up in the morning and are free to do as you choose is because men sacrificed their lives for our freedom, and we should all be eternally grateful to them.
josh
The Marines Prayer:
Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thypresence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose in deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold.If I am inclined to doubt; steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer. Amen.
2 comments:
josh! happy 4th of July! and jess too! I want you both to know that I am so proud of you and I thank you for dedicating your lives to keep our country free, and to help other people be free.
what you're doing is very important, and amazing. i love you both!
-Lynne
HEy, I love that picture. Awesome post too, with the prayer. I tell every Marine I see at my grocery store about you guys! I have told three guys about my sister and brother in law in the marines in CA and Iraq!! I am so proud of both of you! We are praying for you! Happy 4th! love, anne
Post a Comment