Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hike 1.... Los Peñasquitos

Well, in the last 14 days we have done a lot of stuff. So prepare yourself for this blog to take you all over the place in our last 2 weeks....
-
We will start with last Saturday! Jess and I went on a little trip in the ocean to go Whale Watching! The trip was awesome....... except for the fact that we did not see any whales :( We did however see some Common Dolphins, and Rissos Dolphins. However the highlight to the trip was a boat that caught on fire. We got to watch the Coast Guard at work, trying to put out the doomed vessel, but I don't think that it worked out so well for the boat. Last we saw it was a huge inferno of fire and black smoke. Definitely something you do not see everyday!!! We took home rain checks to come back FOR FREE because they "guarantee" whale sightings, and I took home a nice little sunburn that Jess will not let me live down.
On Presidents day Jess and I were off and decided to go on a little hike. This was the first of many to come. Our big goal is to climb Half-Dome in Yosemite this spring/summer... so we have some conditioning to do. As I am sure my Dad and brother will tell you it is no "walk in the park". We went to Los Peñasquitos canyon, just about 1 mile from our apartment. I used to ride my mountain bike here all the time, but had never really took the time to walk around and enjoy just how beautiful it really is. We probably hiked about 5 miles. It was a gorgeous day and we had a blast.
Jess down by the creek

Many of the trails were closed due to the recent rain, but we still managed to find some quiet and beautiful places to go.
Here I am at the half way point. The name of the preserve "Los Peñasquitos" literally means Little Cliffs. What is refers to is the series of cliffs here on the steam which form a small set of waterfalls.

Here is where we stopped to eat a snack. The sound of the water was very refreshing. You would not even know that you are only 3 miles from 3 different interstate highways, and about 4 miles from a Marine Corps Air Station.
Jess really enjoyed herself. I plan on taking her on many, many, many more hikes over the years. I hope I can break her in enough before it comes time for half dome, or she may never hike with me again! But I'm sure she will be fine.

This weekend, Jess did something totally new.... She decided that she was going to have red hair, and now she does! I think that she looks AMAZING no matter what, but I really like the red!

Here she is in the process!


And the end result. Doesn't she look amazing?!?!
We are spending the rest of today just relaxing at home. She is making some chili and it smells soooooooo good. Mmmmm.

Well, thats all for now. As always we miss you all and hope that everything is going well for everyone. Take care everyone!!!

UNTIL NEXT TIME

Josh and Jess--->

5 comments:

Lynne Howard said...

seriously, jess- you are so beautiful! i'm so excited to see you guys soon! just one more week! and that hike really looks cool! What kind of backpacking gear do you have, Josh? I ask because I'm studying tripping and trekking in a class, and we had a whole 3 hour class just about backpacks.... :) ok well I'll see you both soon!
-Lynne

Lynne Howard said...

Yay for a great update! Jess looks great! I am thinking about going red too. But professionally! Maybe a dark auburn with carmel high lights. What do you think? And I def. think you should try hiking on HORSES!! More fun, less work! :) I want to go whale watching! That sounds like fun too! You guys are such a fun, craetive couple! Love and miss ya! -ANNE

Lynne Howard said...

is there a hike 2?

Josh Quigley said...

Not yet, but there will be hundreds to come....

Lynne Howard said...

WHAT?!?! Have you not done ANYTHING exciting enough to post about in the past week or so?!?!