This has been such an awesome week. The simple fact that I had 9 days without having to go to work was great! Then add a trip to Colorado, and my best friend's wedding.... GOOD TIMES!
Nikki, Steph, and I took off to Colorado around noon on Sunday as soon as Jess and Nikki got back from Dallas. The drive to Durango is about 9 hours, and went smoothly. We got to camp around 2200, which is 10PM for you non-military types (NMT's)... Needless to say we were all pretty drained and crashed quickly.
We woke up on Monday and decided to explore Durango. Those who have never been there should go. It is a very neat town with tons of shops and attractions to keep you busy for days. We spent the day walking around and spending money! Best part of the day was going to the Carver Brewing Company! By far the best Micro-Brew I think I have ever had, not to mention the amazing food!
Tuesday was another day of exploring only this time we went up to Ouray. Ouray is a beautiful town tucked up in the mountains with its own set of unique shops and attractions such as the Box Canyon Falls (a very impressive waterfall that has formed in a "slot canyon" over a fault line), which we found very cool. We then drove back to Silverton, another neat town and walked through their stores as well. 2 days of shopping was enough for me!
I will say that what happened next was one of the scariest moments of my life. As we were working our way up the ridgeline to the saddle I heard a strange noise from above. I quickly looked upward to find a person falling down the center of the slope we were coming up. The person could not stop because he was in the washed out area in the middle were all the rock was very fine and too loose to get a grip. Now this was not a straight drop, however he was tumbling down a 50-60 degree slope. Thank God, and I don't really know how, but he managed to stop himself. When he came to rest he yelled that he was okay, but was obviously battered. He had fallen far below his group, and was still far above us. Being that I was the closest person I hurried up as quickly as I could; remember though we were already at about 13,500 feet. A member of his party arrived at him at the same time as I did. The boy who had fallen was only 12 years old, and according to his father (who got there when I did) had fallen more than 200 yards. The rest of his party got there to assist in cleaning him up, and getting him down. Externally he was battered and shaken up, but only received a few "minor" cuts. His ankle was hurt and swollen, but he was alive. It just goes to show you how careful you have to be. He could have easily fallen another 500 vertical feet down and suffered major injuries.
Coming down was uneventful, and much faster than going up! While I was waiting on Dad and Nikki to catch up I stood just above the saddle in absolute wonder, thinking to myself how such beautiful things are made. I said a little prayer, thanking Him for his wonderful creations and for giving us the perfect day to enjoy it. I have always felt closer to God when I am in the mountains than anywhere else. Enough preaching! We got down just as it started to rain, and made it back to Durango just in time for a wonderful dinner! A perfect end to a perfect day.
On Thursday, Steph and I woke up early and made the drive back to Lubbock. I had to be back that night for Garret's bachelor party.... Although it was short, it was a wonderful trip! And I am ready to go back.
On Thursday, Steph and I woke up early and made the drive back to Lubbock. I had to be back that night for Garret's bachelor party.... Although it was short, it was a wonderful trip! And I am ready to go back.
For more pictures of our trip click here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=288403&id=534100267&l=fdd35d1d57
Until next time
Josh----->
Until next time
Josh----->
5 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESS!!!!!!!!!!!! love you!
Updates!!! How are the college students doing?! How are yalls classes? Where are you both working now? Jess get the job at Barnes and Nobles?! Updates please! Also, what are you guys doing for Labor Day? I prob. won't find out until Christmas cuz that is how long it wil take Jess to tell me or post it on here!! Callllllllll meeeee! :) (home phone) Miss and love you both!
Yes, y'all need to update the blog.
Ok Jess, I updated my blog. Now it's YOUR turn! Add pics of the cowboy festival thing! And your college campus! And what your house looks like now. Full House! ha ha. And write to let us know how your classes are going. AND if you got the job!
Jess, I thought you said you were going to UPDATE your blog!! still waiting...!! :)
Post a Comment