So for those of you who have read this for a while, you would know that last year Jess and I had two failed attempts of whale watching. Well, third time was the charm! On Saturday Kyna, Rafe, Jess, and I went on yet another tour, and this time WE SAW WHALES!!!!! (It's too bad Lynne was not there to speak to them ;)
We met up at out apartment then headed over to the donut shop. After getting our daily dose of calories and icing, we headed downtown to the Marina to catch our San Diego Harbor Excursions 0945 whale watching tour! If you ever go, get in line about 30 minutes early so you can get good seats. The boat fills up fast, so thank goodness we knew this. :)
It was not long into our excursion that we spotted the first whale. But to everyone’s surprise, we got a very unique treat!!! It was a juvenile Humpback Whale. This is very uncommon in San Diego, and was really neat to see! You see it diving above.
We then spotted what we came to look for, the Gray Whale! We saw several individuals, and even a pod of about six, pictured above. You can see three different blows in this picture.
Here is a great shot of the gray whale's back. The island in the back is one of the three Coronado Islands, which are located in Mexican Water off the coast of Tijuana.
Kyna and Jess
A Seagull that befriended the ship on the way back in (most likely because of the dumb people throwing him popcorn). I shall name him, Edward! I got several neat shots of Ed because he was cruising right along next to us for about 20 minutes.
It was an absolutely beautiful day on the water. Air temp was about 75, crystal clear skies, slight off shore breeze. The weather could not have been better.
A sail boat just out of the harbor with the edge of Point Loma in the background.
After we finished with our trip, we walked over to Seaport Village. If you’re not familiar with the area there are a lot of unique stores, vendors, foods, and people in general!
One of our favorites is the "Bird Guy", who happens to be a former Marine himself. Every time we go he has a collection of 10-12 exotic birds to hold and play with. Jess fell in love with the Umbrella Cockatoo she is holding above.
Rafe and Kyna standing in front of one of the hundreds of uniquely painted globes around the area. I'm not sure on their exact meaning for being there, but they were all preaching to live GREEN!
Jess in front of another one.... I like being green!!!
After Seaport Village we all went back to Rafe and Kyna's house to eat dinner and play some games. It was an awesome day!!! We love SAN DIEGO!!!
We are still waiting for our professional pics to be posted, and as soon as they are you will all know!
Until next time-----> jOsH
3 comments:
yay for updates! Good job Josh! Sounds like a fun day! I want to live there and hang out with you guys and do fun things like whale watching! neat pics! I miss Rafe and Kyna too!! :)
I speak whale.
Hey, I totally didn't mean to copy you guys! i just realized my heading is a lot like yours! But how did you get it to fit all the way in there? Mine is too small or something...
Post a Comment