And then Jack happened and at the time we had no intentions of keeping her. But then we fell in love with her and we are not even remotely sorry for making the decision to make her a part of our family. She has 2 older feline sisters that she tortures daily and about 7 tennis balls that she rolls around the house or back yard all at once trying to pick them ALL up. She is such a sweet, beautiful creature that we cannot imagine what we ever would have done without her!Now the time has come again that we are ready for another dog. I have been kind-of looking but not really too hard because we were trying to figure out what we wanted exactly. I've looked at the area rescues but no one really jumped out at us, although they are all so cute that I could take them all home!!!! We don't mind mutts, because Jack is one. We don't mind a rescue because Jack was one. We don't necessarily need a puppy because Jack came to us as one, so we've had our puppy fix. So it has been a half hearted attempt.

Until about a month ago, when I went along to the vet's office to help my mom with her two dogs. While we were waiting a lady brought in her Rottweiler and I thought "Man, I just loved having Jade when she lived with us; maybe we should get a Rottie. Their wonderful, sweet, loyal dogs." I was thinking on this when not even 5 minutes later another lady walks in (where are the husbands at by the way??) with a Westi and a Doberman. I began talking to her and was completely drawn in. After that I was set; I knew what I wanted.
I went by Barnes and Noble on the way home and picked up some literature. Dobermans just happened to be a featured breed in March's edition of Dog Fancy (how convenient!). I was super impressed not only by the dog but by the breed foundation. I've never read anything about any breed where over and over again it tells you to absolutely make sure this dog is for you. Usually its "now this is an energetic breed so make sure you have plenty of space, etc". This one recommends countless times to check out the Doberman Pinscher Club of America (http://www.dpca.org/) to learn as much as you can before making your decision. Over and over again I saw this. So I did. I went online and am completely hooked now. This breed is not only energetic, but problem solving smart, loyal, lovable, sweet tempered, people loving, and animal friendly (so my cats may survive another canine, heehee). They are perceptive, intuitive, and sensitive. They are also one of the only dogs that can not only sense danger but can discern it before it actually happens! They are most recognizable for their role as guard dogs but they are also phenomenal at agility, as a service dog, and even in search and rescue, not to mention the numerous other abilities. This is an awesomely versatile dog.

So, I started to check online at rescues and came across some Doberman Rescues here in Texas. I really wanted to go visit both, however, they both have a policy about living within a certain distance and even attending mandatory classes, which is awesome and I would totally do it if we had one here! Long story short: I live to far away to adopt from either of them =( However, I'm going to write the rescue and get as many references that I can and really just pray and hope that someone will be willing to work with me living so far away.
Now, the whole point of this blog wasn't to tell you guys about how we want another dog. I just did that so that way there was a starting point, so that we're all on the same page. The point of this blog is to answer a couple of questions that I was asked me on Facebook the other day: Why? Why do you want a Doberman? You can just get a different kind of puppy. And why a rescue? (Anne and Lynne both have Labs, so they try to recruit me all the time to get a Lab puppy!!)

As far as why a Doberman, I think that I sort of answered that above. As to why not a puppy.... well a puppy is cute and sweet and fluffy but it also needs housebroken, and crate trained, and honestly I'm not sure if I can go through the chewing phase again right off the bat! Jade pretty much taught Jack the ropes as a puppy. She's over a year now and has only had 5 accidents indoors ever! And 3 were our fault! She learned to sit, wait to be fed, ask to go out, etc, all by watching Jade. She's one smart cookie. But she's still a pup and it wouldn't be wise having a kid teach a kid. Besides, we are perfectly content with getting an older dog.
Which leads us to: Why rescue? Well... why NOT? I refuse, REFUSE to buy a dog from a pet store. I know that they need to be bought and loved on too and that they can make great pets. I know that some pet stores buy from local small breeders only. But I am so afraid of buying a dog that's from a puppy mill and inadvertently supporting the mill that I just refuse to get one from a pet store period. SOMEONE will buy the dog that I say no to. However, there are perfectly good dogs at a rescue that just need love and attention and devotion too but most people want a puppy and not an older dog. The kicker is that most of the dogs at the shelters started out being someones puppy. Most people believe that the majority of them come off of the streets and that's just not true. They were brought in because they were "un-trainable" or they "are too hyper" etc etc etc. Mostly, it's because they weren't a puppy any more and were probably not raised properly from the beginning. Then the owners just didn't want to take the extra time to re-teach them. It's very sad really. There's a quote in an add in BARK! magazine that says:

"Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise."
I saw an add yesterday in the paper for a local breeder with a litter of Dobermans. My heart didn't quicken and I wasn't itching to call them. All I could think about was how that would be some dog somewhere that I didn't rescue that needed me to give it a home. I knew 100% in that moment that our next dog would be a shelter dog. So tonight I'm going to sit down and write to the Houston Doberman Rescue and the North Texas Doberman Rescue in Dallas and see what they say. If we never try then we will never know if we could have succeeded. Besides, I was a Marine. We never give up, especially when it's important. ~ Jess
I found this on the Houston Doberman site and I wanted to share it with you all. It's something to think about if any of you ever decide to get a dog or another dog.
I saw an add yesterday in the paper for a local breeder with a litter of Dobermans. My heart didn't quicken and I wasn't itching to call them. All I could think about was how that would be some dog somewhere that I didn't rescue that needed me to give it a home. I knew 100% in that moment that our next dog would be a shelter dog. So tonight I'm going to sit down and write to the Houston Doberman Rescue and the North Texas Doberman Rescue in Dallas and see what they say. If we never try then we will never know if we could have succeeded. Besides, I was a Marine. We never give up, especially when it's important. ~ Jess
I found this on the Houston Doberman site and I wanted to share it with you all. It's something to think about if any of you ever decide to get a dog or another dog.
Do I Go Home Today?
by Sandi Thompson
My family brought me home one day
cradled in their arms
the cuddled me and smiled at me
and said I was full of charm
They played with me and laughed with me
and showered me with toys
Is sure do love my family
especially the girls and boys
The children loved to feed me
they gave me special treats
They even let me sleep with them
and snuggle in the sheets
I used to go for walks
often several times a day
they even fought to hold my leash
I am very proud to say
These are things I'll never forget;
a cherished memory
I know live in a shelter
without my family
They used to laugh and praise me
when I played with that old shoe
But I didn't know the difference
between the old one and the new
The kids and I would grab a rag
for hours we would tug
So I thought I did the right thing
when I chewed the bathroom rug
They said that I was out of control
and I would have to live outside
this I did not understand
although I tried and tried
The walks stopped one by one
they said they didn't have time
I wish that I could change things
I wish I knew my crime
My life became so lonely
in the backyard on a chain
I barked and barked all day long
to keep from going insane
So they brought me to a shelter
but were embarrassed to say why
They said I caused an allergy
and then kissed me goodbye
If I'd only had some classes
as a little pup
I wouldn't have been so hard to handle
when I was all grown up
"You only have one day left"
I heard the worker say
Does this mean a second chance?
Do I go home today?
3 comments:
I didn't read the poem yet, and even though I think Lab puppies are THE CUTEST things EVER on earth, I think it's very cool that you want to adopt! I remember going to the pound (one and only time!) to look for a dog for mom and dad when they were looking to adopt, and I balled my eyes out the whole time! It was SO sad to see all those sweet, sad dogs that needed homes and needed some one to love them an give them a chance.
You are right, all the dogs at the pet stores will get homes. But the dogs at the shelters, nobody wants. I feel SO bad for them - I want to cry just thinking about it. They never even got a chance in this world! And by adopting one, you are giving it the chance to live in a home where it's loved, accepted, and given a chance at life! So sweet! Now, you might not get the BEST dog in the world (Hoosier), you might end up with one that's not so smart (Riley - who was adopted) but you are making a difference in the world. I commend you guys! Wish everyone would first look to adopt before buying!
UPDATE!!!
Ok guys it's been one update every 5 months lately....TIME FOR AN UPDATE! Jess, I know you are working 2 jobs, but when you come home, NO HW so I know you have time! Put down the book and give us an update! :) Love you!
Post a Comment